With the success of the Spiderman franchise and other superhero movies like The Watchmen, there is obviously a large audience interested in upcoming superhero movies. Combining the right amount of action with romance and a made-from-the-comics feeling, superhero movies bring out the kid in all of us and we lead ourselves to easily identify with the troubled hero trying to save the world.
List of Upcoming Superhero Movies
If you just can't get your fix of superhero films, you're in luck. There are several dozen films that are scheduled to come out in the next few years to easily help you find your new favorite hero. These films are slated to open in theaters between the end of 2010 and late 2013. Some of these films include:
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2: Everyone's favorite clawed superhero is slated to be back in another feature starring the lead in the first film, Hugh Jackman. The film is rumored to explore more of the character's backstory and be a good ole' time for the fans.
- X-Men: First Class:Planned to open in 2011, another film in the X-Men saga is set to star James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult, Kevin Dacon, January Jones, Emma Frost and Oliver Platt. The high-powered cast will likely follow the same plot as the comic book it is optioned from.
- Thor: Starring in the film will be Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins and Kenneth Branagh. The film is rumored to take a more dramatic overtone and view of this avenger.
- The Red Sonja: Starring Rose McGowan, this film will remake the 1985 version of the same name. The she-devil herself will be revamped in the remake to mix more sex appeal with fighting power.
- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance: After the success of the 2007 film, the follow-up to the Ghost Rider series will still star Nic Cage as the famed Rider.
- The Green Hornet: The 1966 television action-adventure is getting revamped into a full-fledged film coming in early 2011 with the help of Seth Rogen, Christopher Waltz, Cameron Diaz and Michael Gondry.
- Untitled Fantastic Four: Another episode in the Fantastic Four saga is slated for 2013. While little has been leaked about who will star in the film or its plot, many of the fans of the first two features eagerly await any information they can find!
- The Green Lantern: Green is back in style in the world of superheroes! Another green-themed character, the Green Lantern will star Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarasgaard and Mark Strong in this film that has already received good reviews from those who have seen segments.
- Iron Man 3: Another installment of the popular Iron Man series will star lead character Robert Downey, Jr. and is slated for a 2013 release.
- Captain America: The First Avenger: The all-American superhero film will star Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Hugo Weaving, Stanley Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones, and will be directed by Joe Johnston. With such a star-studded cast, eager eyes look forward to it's 2011 release date.
- Ant-Man: Adapting yet another superhero comic with aplomb, this unlikely superhero film will be directed by Edgar Wright.
- Deadpool: One of the most popular Marvel characters of all times, Deadpool will get his own film in 2012. Fans hope the character will get a more dedicated backstory and a more fully fleshed-out point of view.
In the world of upcoming superhero movies, few have received more buzz than the upcoming Batman movie (to finish out the trilogy that featured the Dark Knight) and the follow-up films in the Spiderman saga. Though little is known about these upcoming films, fans of superhero movies can only assume that the cast and crew of the films will take the features one step further than their predecessors.