There are two Planet of the Apes casts, the original cast from the first movie in 1968, and the cast from the modern 2001 remake of the same name. Both movies revolve around being human in an alien world, where apes have taken on human-like qualities and think of humans as a lesser species. The apes treat people as slaves, for nothing more than their amusement.
Original 1968 Planet of the Apes Cast
In the 1968 Planet of the Apes movie, directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, we meet the original cast. The movie starts off with astronaut George Taylor crash landing onto a strange new planet, a planet of apes. All of his crew from his ship either die or are enslaved by the apes. Taylor though, befriends a couple of the apes and a human woman with whom he had been sharing a cell. Taylor is feared by most of the higher up apes, and they put him on trial for heresy. The group escapes to the desert, where ancient ruins are uncovered, and long kept secrets are revealed. The main cast is listed below:
- Charlton Heston - George Taylor
- Roddy McDowall - Cornelius
- Kim Hunter - Zira
- Maurice Evans - Dr. Zaius
The full cast can be found at imdb.com, or in the credits if you own the 1968 version of Planet of the Apes.
About the Cast
Each cast member of the 1968 Planet of the Apes has more to them than the face portrayed in the movie:
- Charlton Heston: This Oscar winning actor has starred in films such as, Julius Caesar, The Greatest Show on Earth, Ben-Hur, and The Ten Commandments''.
- Roddy McDowall: The London native has been in films like Lassie Come Home, My Friend Flicka, and Murder in the Valley.
- Kim Hunter: A Detroit born actress, Kim Hunter has played roles in the films Blue Moon, and A Streetcar named Desire.
- Maurice Evans: Another London born actor, Evans has been in films like The War Lord and Rosemary's Baby. He also made appearances on the television show Bewitched.
The 2001 Movie Cast
In 2001, Tim Burton directed a remake of Planet of the Apes. This version is similar to the 1968 version, except that the main character is named Leo Davidson. Leo and a small group of rebels try to overthrow the Gorilla army, with the powerful leader General Thade. Both groups go to the Forbidden Zone, a place of secrets and myth. The main cast is below:
- Mark Wahlburg - Captain Leo Davidson
- Tim Roth - Thade
- Helena Bonham Carter - Ari
- Michael Clarke Duncan - Attar
- Paul Giamatti - Limbo
- Estella Warren - Daena
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa - Krull
About This Cast
Like the original film, the 2001 star-studded Planet of the Apes cast boasts of notable actors and actresses. Here is a list of their accomplishments:
- Mark Wahlburg: One of the original members of the boy-band New Kids on the Block, Mark Wahlburg has also starred in the films, Fear, Boogie Nights, The Perfect Storm, and The Basketball Dairies.
- Tim Roth: An English actor, Tim Roth has starred in the films The Incredible Hulk, The War Zone, and has had a role in the television show Lie to Me.
- Helena Bonham Carter: A star in the musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Helena Bonham Carter has also been in The Wings of the Dove, and Lady Jane.
Fans of Planet of the Apes are certain to enjoy viewing both the older and newer versions of this unique science fiction film.