One way to liven up gatherings this holiday season is to play a few rounds of Christmas movie trivia. You may be surprised at what you know, or what you can learn about your favorite Christmas flicks. So start the fire, break out the eggnog, and steal a few cookies from Santa's plate, because it's time for lights, camera, action!
Christmas Movie Trivia Is Coming to Town
Many people can mark the countdown to Christmas either by the amount of Christmas music that takes over their favorite radio stations, or by the number of Christmas movie marathons that being popping up on network after network. If you can't get enough of these movie marathons and you spend every weekend in December glued to your TV, then you're going to make Santa's nice list for sure when you try out these holiday trivia questions.
Print up a copy or two of the Christmas movie trivia questions and answers below to get the party started at your next holiday celebration.
Classic Christmas Movie Trivia Questions
Whether they're black and white or in technicolor, these Christmas movies bring all of that old Hollywood charm to the holiday season-and these trivia questions are filled with the same amount of nostalgia:
- Which beloved actor's aunt plays Betty in White Christmas?
- Which actress, whose tragic death at sea captivated the world in 1981, starred in Miracle on 34th Street?
- Which Christmas movie won an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1942?
- Which song's first version did Judy Garland refuse to sing in Meet Me in St. Louis for being too sad?
- What new material did the special effects team working on It's a Wonderful Life create?
- Which acclaimed female author and poet's contributions to the script for It's a Wonderful Life went uncredited for years?
Classic Christmas Movie Trivia Answers
See if you're ready to make an appearance as one of the hosts during TCM's holiday line-up:
- George Clooney
- Natalie Wood
- Holiday Inn with "White Christmas"
- "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"
- A new, quieter type of fake snow
- Dorothy Parker
Animated Christmas Movie Trivia Questions
You're never too old to enjoy an animated movie; and some of the most beloved Christmas films from your childhood were probably animated. From claymation to motion capture, see if you or your kids can answer these questions:
- What holiday item provided Frosty the Snowman with its signature animation style?
- Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas was narrated by which classic horror movie actor?
- CBS executives hated which 1965 animated Christmas movie that they'd funded after they screened it for the first time?
- Which Christmas special has been broadcast every year since 1964?
- The Grinch continues his shenanigans in which 1977 holiday movie?
- How many characters does Tom Hanks voice in the animated Christmas movie, The Polar Express?
- Like Die Hard, which holiday stop-motion film straddles the line between being a Halloween and Christmas movie?
- Which legendary Old Hollywood actor voiced Kris Kringle in Santa Claus is Comin' to Town?
- Which production company has become the industry leader in Claymation Christmas movies?
- Which 2004 Christmas movie holds the Guinness World Record for the first film to "entirely use the Performance Capture technique" to translate the actor's movements onto the animated characters on-screen?
Animated Christmas Movie Trivia Answers
Give your inner child the satisfaction of seeing how well you can remember your childhood favorites:
- One of Paul Coker Jr.'s Christmas cards
- Boris Karloff
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Halloween is Grinch Night
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Mickey Rooney
- The Polar Express
Christmas Comedies Trivia Questions
There's a lot to get stressed about during the Christmas holidays, but the movies you watch during the season don't have to add to it. Let yourself lighten up and laugh a little with these Christmas comedy trivia questions:
- Which famous director mentioned Jeremiah Chechik's commercial work in an article in The New York Times, giving him the publicity to launch his directing career, and inadvertently helping make Christmas Vacation?
- Which legendary actor, known for his appearances in films like Raging Bull and Goodfellas, has a feature role as a villain in Home Alone?
- The actress who played Aunt Bethany in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation voiced which popular pin-up icon?
- Which Game of Thrones actor makes an appearance in Elf?
- Popular sitcom comedian, Tim Allen, starred in what 1994 family Christmas movie?
- Scrooged is a modern-day adaptation of which classic novel?
- What toy is Arnold Schwarzenegger desperately trying to find in Jingle All the Way?
- The cotton balls that Will Ferrell scarfs down in Elf are made out of what confection?
- Which director, whose movies are famous for launching the Brat Pack of the 1980s, wrote the script for Christmas Vacation?
Christmas Comedies Trivia Answers
It's all a barrel of laughs until your family outscores you in this comedy category.
- Stanley Kubrick
- Joe Pesci
- Betty Boop
- Peter Dinklage
- The Santa Clause
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- A Turbo Man action figure
- Uncolored cotton candy
- John Hughes
Stocking Stuffer Movie Trivia Questions
Dig deep for all of those random holiday movie facts you might have picked up over the years, because quizzing yourself in this category is like sticking your hand inside of a stocking and seeing what you can find.
- Which gun does Ralphie want for Christmas in A Christmas Story?
- Which famous folk singer's music video served as the inspiration for Andrew Lincoln's infamous card scene in Love Actually?
- Which wizarding film series has become an unintentional Christmas classic thanks to its yuletide marathons on network television?
- What real-life event does the film, Joyeux Noel, bring to life?
- If you'd like to get away from the lighthearted holiday cheer and enjoy something a little dark, which 1974 holiday horror movie should you watch?
- Michael Caine joins what beloved children's cast in an interesting adaptation of A Christmas Carol?
Stocking Stuffer Movie Trivia Answers
It's time to total up your final scores and see just how well you know your stuff.
- Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle
- Bob Dylan and his video for "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
- Harry Potter
- A temporary Christmas truce that happened during World War I
- Black Christmas
- The Muppets
Try to Make the Nice List This Year
No matter how well you scored, try to keep yourself on the nice list this year; remember, Santa doesn't enjoy a temper tantrum. With all the holiday parties and events you'll be attending, this Christmas movie trivia is great to have on-hand to bring the crowds together and keep everyone's spirits bright.