One way to liven up gatherings this holiday season is to play a few rounds of Christmas movie trivia. You may be surprised at what you know -- or don't know -- about your favorite Christmas flicks.
Christmas Movie Quotes
The following quotes all come from popular Christmas films. Test your family and friends to see if they can identify the films and the characters who said them. The list of answers appears after the list of quotes.
- "Now, all those within the sound of my voice, and all those on this Earth everywhere know that henceforth you will be called Santa Claus."
- "Here's your motivation: Your name is Rudolph, you're a freak with a red nose, and no one likes you. Then, one day, Santa picks you and you save Christmas. No, forget that part... You HATE Christmas! You're gonna steal it. Saving Christmas is a lousy ending, way too commercial. ACTION!"
- "Well, there are some things you should know. First off, you see gum on the street, leave it there. It isn't free candy."
- "It's Christmas Eve! It's... it's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we... we... we smile a little easier, we... w-w-we... we... we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped we would be!"
- "You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?"
- "She lives in God's house; with Jesus and Mary and the ghost and the long-eared donkey and the talking walnut."
- "Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around, he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"
- "We're your worst nightmare: elves with attitude."
Movie Quote Answers
- The Ancient Elf, from Santa Claus: The Movie
- The Grinch, from How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Santa, from Elf
- Susan, from Miracle on 34th Street
- Frank Cross, from Scrooged
- Kevin McCallister, from Home Alone
- Kid, from Bad Santa
- Clarence Oddbody, from It's a Wonderful Life
- E.L.F.S. Leader, from The Santa Clause
Fun Facts from Holiday Movies
Use these facts as the basis for trivia questions or as fun conversation starters.
- Die Hard was originally planned as the sequel to Commando with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the starring role.
- In The Nightmare Before Christmas the character of Behemoth is based on Swedish B-movie and wrestling star Tor Johnson, who provided the character's voice.
- shop called Micklewhite is so named because it is the birth name of the film's star Michael Caine.
- The lawyer in Miracle on 34th Street, Gailey, claims the US Post Office was founded on July 26, 1776. In fact, it was founded in 1775.
- Buddy's 12 second belch in the film Elf is supplied by voice actor Maurice la Marche.
- The Griswold's neighbor's house in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is the same house Murtagh and family lived in in Lethal Weapon.
- Two of Bill Murray's brothers make appearances in the movie Scrooged. Brian Doyle Murray, only five years older than Bill, played his father, while John Murray played his brother.
- In part because of Lionel Barrymore's unsympathetic bank manager character, the FBI suspected It's a Wonderful Life of having communist leanings. In their view it was a common propaganda trick for Communists to discredit those working in the financial industries.
Christmas Film Questions and Answers
These questions and answers can be a trivia game all on their own. The answers immediately follow the list of questions, so if you're testing yourself, be careful how far down you scroll.
- What is John McClane's catchphrase in the film Die Hard?
- In Miracle on 34th Street why is Kris Kringle declared insane?
- In Santa Claus: The Movie in what century was the mortal Claus and his wife rescued from?
- In which movie does Tom Hanks play Santa Claus?
- In Gremlins how did Kate's father die when trying to deliver Christmas gifts to his family?
- What kind of cuddly toy is Willie trying to deliver to the kid when he is shot down by the police in Bad Santa?
- What is Frank's job in Scrooged?
- Who plays the self-proclaimed Polka King in Home Alone?
- In what 80s Christmas movie does jazz legend Miles Davis make a cameo appearance?
- Why does Santa Claus go on holiday instead of delivering presents in The Year Without a Santa Claus?
- What song do New Yorkers burst into, creating the Christmas spirit in Elf?
- Yippie kai yay
- He claims he is Santa Claus.
- The 14th century
- The Polar Express
- He broke his neck falling down the chimney.
- A pink elephant
- TV executive
- John Candy
- He thinks people no longer care about Christmas.
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Create Your Own Christmas Trivia
Use these questions, quotes, and fun facts to kick start your own Christmas movie trivia collection. Whenever you and your family are watching your favorite holiday films, jot down some memorable lines or bits of trivia to create a great collection of movie questions and quotes.