The best Easter movies out there are not the type of films many people think of when they think of holidays movies. Sure, when Easter gets close, some people wonder what films are out there to help them indulge in the holiday season. However, unlike more popular holidays like Christmas, movies aren't really associated with popular celebrations of the event. With a list of the best Easter movies, however, you can look to change that this year with your family!
The Best Easter Movies
When you think of Easter movies, do you think of fluffy bunnies hiding colorful Easter eggs or do you think of the more traditional religious story behind the event? Whichever Easter makes you think of, there are plenty of films out there to help you indulge in the season. These films include:
- The First Easter Rabbit: In this animated film, the story of the first Easter bunny is told. When a young girl throws away her toy rabbit, the movie tells the tale of how he goes on to become the world's first official Easter bunny.
- Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo: While everyone else is excited about Easter, Rabbit wants nothing more than to clean. No one else seems to care. As a result, Rabbit cancels Easter and the gang is heartbroken. However, they spend most of the movie trying to get Rabbit to proclaim Easter's return.
- Veggie Tales: An Easter Carol: For young kids, An Easter Carol twists the classic Christmas movie, Christmas Carol, and switches the film to have an Easter holiday theme.
- Jesus of Nazareth: For those looking for a more traditional version of the religious basis of the Resurrection, this film is likely right up your alley.
- It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown: While not the best feature in the world of Charlie Brown movies, It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown features a favorite cast of characters trying to figure out Easter in their own special way.
- Holiday Inn: Taking a little bit from every major holiday that is out there, this film features much about the Easter season. For those looking for a religious basis, this film is great at telling the full story of religious holidays.
- Here Comes Peter Cottontail: Peter Cottontail is perhaps one of the best known Easter rabbits out there. This film tells the tail of how he became so famous as the Easter bunny.
- The First Easter: If you're looking for a film to show the religious background of the holiday to younger children, this film does so in a rated G way.
- Miss Potter: A film made just for adults featuring Renee Zellweger, the film highlights the life of Beatrix Potter. Ms. Potter wrote the famed series of Peter Rabbit books. The story's rabbit focus is clever and holiday-friendly.
- Monty Python's Life of Brian: Another film just for adults, this comedy backs the classical Monty Python humor base with a little bit of the Easter story.
- Fiddler on the Roof: While not a classic Easter film, this is a great movie for the Passover season.
- Bugs Bunny Easter Funnies: A great film for children, this feature puts together many of the greatest Easter-related Bugs Bunny features. If you're looking for something for children with short attention spans that is holiday related, this feature will fill that role!
- Yogi the Easter Bear: Yogi the Bear is responsible for saving the Easter bunny when he and his pal Boo Boo believe him to be kidnapped. What will those who visit Yellowstone Park do without their beloved Easter bunny?
A Final Thought
Many of these best Easter movies bring the possibility for starting new Easter traditions within your family. Just because Easter is not the big movie watching holiday that Christmas is doesn't mean your family can't have a tradition focused around the great cinema dedicated to this holiday.