Hugh Laurie has amassed a long list of television and movie credits throughout his successful acting career. If you enjoy this celebrated actor's work, then check out the many roles he's played through the years.
Hugh Laurie's Movie Career
Hugh Laurie has been a star in movies for decades. Some of his most well-known roles include:
- Tomorrowland - Released in 2015, this movie features Laurie as scientist David Nix, a man with his finger on the future that may be destroyed.
- Mr. Pip - In this 2014 film, Laurie plays Mr. Watts, an Englishman in the tropical village of Bougainville during its 1990s civil war.
- Arthur Christmas - This 2011 must-see Christmas movie has Laurie doing the voice of Steve, who is in charge of mission control at the North Pole and expects to take over upon Santa's retirement.
- The Oranges - Laurie is Hugh Walling in this 2011 movie about a suburban affair.
- Hop - Laurie plays the retiring Easter Bunny/E.B.'s dad in this 2011 movie.
- Monsters vs. Aliens - Dr. Cockroach PhD. is the animated role played by Laurie in the original 2009 film and the television short specials (Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space and B.O.B.'s Big Break) released the same year.
- Street Kings - Laurie plays a police department internal affairs investigator named Captain Briggs in this 2008 action-filled flick.
- Valiant - Laurie voiced the animated role of Gutsy in this 2005 Disney flick.
- Flight of the Phoenix - In this 2004 remake, Laurie plays Ian, an oil rig crew member.
Maybe Baby - Laurie stars in the lead role of Sam in this 2001 movie about a couple who wants a baby.
- Stuart Little - The original 1999 movie and subsequent sequels (second released in 2002 and third in 2005) feature Laurie as Mr. Fredrick Little.
- The Man in the Iron Mask -Laurie has a small role in this 1998 film as an advisor to the king.
- 101 Dalmatians -In the 1998 version of this movie, Laurie plays Jasper, a henchman for Cruella De Vil.
- Cousin Bette - Laurie plays Baron Hulot, a love interest of Bette, in this 1998 movie.
- The Borrowers - Laurie is Officer Steady in this 1997 family film.
- Sense & Sensibility - This 1995 hit movie shows off Laurie's skills as Mr. Palmer.
- A Pin for the Butterfly - Laurie is the uncle of a young girl who hopes to leave 1950s Czechoslovakia in this 1994 movie.
- Peter's Friends - Roger, played by Laurie, is one of the friends in this 1992 New Year's tale.
- Strapless - Laurie is featured in the role of Colin in this 1990 love story.
Television Shows With Hugh Laurie
While Hugh Laurie might be best-known for his role on House, that is not the only television show to his credit. He has had the opportunity to play plenty of other characters during his lengthy career.
Hugh Laurie's television series roles include, but are not limited to:
- Chance (2016 - 2018) - The Hulu drama starred Laurie as neurophysicist Eldon Chance.
- Veep (2012 - ?) - Laurie has a recurring role in this popular HBO political comedy as Tom James, who started out as a senator, took a break from politics, wrote a book, and then became vice president.
- The Night Manager (2016) - In this BBC miniseries, Laurie plays crime villan Richard Roper. The show has also has aired on AMC.
- House (2004 - 2012) - Laurie played Dr. Gregory House, a cynical but brilliant physician on this FOX show.
- Fortysomething (2003) - Laurie plays title role of Paul Slippery in this British series.
- Jeeves and Wooster (1990-1993) - ITV aired this comedy show, which stars Laurie as bachelor Bertram Wooster.
Notable Guest Roles and Specials
Laurie has appeared on a number of television series in a guest role or as part of various specials for holidays or other events. Just a few include:
- Family Guy - Laurie has voiced several characters in various episodes over the years, including Business Guy (2009) and One If by Clam, Two if By Sea (2001).
- Friends - Laurie was Rachel's unnamed seatmate in the 1998 episode where she flies to England to declare her love for Ross.
- The Crystal Cube - In 1983, Laurie played Max Belhaven in this scientific-spoof television special.
The famous actor has also appeared on numerous talk shows and given interviews throughout his career.
Hugh Laurie is a well-known actor who can play comedy as well as drama. Whether you love his British humor or prefer his take on more dramatic characters, you're sure to find something new to enjoy him in from these roles.