The Showtime Movie channel has a lineup of four different movie channels from which to choose.
Showtime networks is owned by the CBS Corporation including:
- Showtime On Demand
- Showtime Extreme
- Showtime Beyond
- Showtime Next
- Showtime Women
- Showtime Showcase
- Showtime 2
- Showtime 2HD
- Showtime Pay Per View
Showtime also offers a whole host of award-winning original series shows such as:
- Weeds - Starring Mary Louise Parker as a suburban mom who also happens to make a living selling marijuana.
- Dexter - Former Six Feet Under star Michael C. Hall plays the character of murderous Dexter Morgan.
- Californication - Watch David Duchovny play the narcissistic, but hilarious writer, Hank Moody.
- The Tudors - Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays King Henry VII in this critically acclaimed show.
- The L Word - Starring Jennifer Beals, featuring the intricacies of the lesbian relationships of the show's characters.
- Tracy Ullman - Featuring the always hilarious Tracy Ullman.
- The United States of Tara - Toni Collette and John Corbett star in this show about a woman who changes personalities on a daily basis.
The Showtime channel airs all of the shows listed above as well as plenty of movies. As a matter of fact, all of the Showtime channels offer movies, except for Showtime Pay Per View which only airs pay per view events. If it's movies you love though, you might just want to check out Showtime's The Movie Channel.
Showtime Movie Channel Offerings
People often refer to what is formally The Movie Channel, offered by Showtime, simply as Showtime Movie Channel. Here's the breakdown of movie channels offered by Showtime:
Showtime The Movie Channel
This Showtime channel airs over 120 films a month. In between films, viewers can enjoy a few extras and tidbits like:
- Behind the scenes movie footage
- Film facts and trivia
- Interviews with actors and directors
This channel also offers a special feature every weekend beginning in September called "Splatterday on Saturdays" which features two horror films back to back.
Movies in HD
Another movie channel offered by Showtime networks is their Movie Channel HD. This channel airs all its movies in high-definition.
Showtime The Movie Channel XTRA
Showtime's The Movie Channel XTRA airs about 80 films per month and focuses on things like bonus footage and behind the scenes action.
Movies On Demand
Want to watch a particular movie but you're busy with other plans during its original airtime? No worries, Showtime offers many of its films On Demand, so you can sit down and enjoy them whenever your busy schedule opens up.
Other Showtime Movie Channels
The final two movie channels offered by Showtime are Flix and Flix On Demand.
- Flix - Shows around 70 films a month from the 1970's, 80's and 90's and Flix On Demand offers a variety of the films they air via On Demand.
Comparing Showtime to Other Premium Channels
Showtime offers basically everything that other premium channels like HBO and Encore do, but as with the other channels, they have agreements and contracts with certain film companies and distributors. This means that you won't see the same films on Showtime as you will, say, on HBO. If you prefer movies to any sort of original series shows, then Showtime is your best bet because it has so many different movie channels from which to choose.
Finally, adding Showtime to your channel lineup is easy enough. Just click on its webpage or make a phone call to customer service. The monthly cost for the channel varies depending upon your cable package, but will run you anywhere from 5 to 14 dollars per month. If you compare this price to the cost of renting or going to the movies, it's pretty cheap entertainment. Plus, you don't even have to leave the house. That is perfect when you feel like watching a movie when it's late, cold out or you're just feeling like a homebody.