With authors such as Nicholas Sparks and books like Gone with the Wind, there are several romance novel movies out there. From some of the most classic books ever written in literature to Harlequin novels, romance and cinema go hand in hand. Many books are turned into movies due partially to their popularity but also because the romance portrayed in the novels translates so well to the big screen.
What Makes a Romance Novel a Good Movie?
Not every romance novel makes a good movie. The general movie public expects certain things in romance movies such as:
- A strong love plot. Common plot elements involve a couple that can't be together due to other influences in their lives, a couple kept apart by distance or a love affair outlawed by society. Without a good love plot, a romance novel will never suffice as a movie.
- A male protagonist. Did you swoon when Luke Wilson came to the ball field to kiss Drew Barrymore's character in Never Been Kissed? If you did, you likely wouldn't enjoy a romantic movie with a man who was anything but a glutton for love.
- An identifiable woman. No matter what, women enjoy romance because they see a little bit of themselves in the main lady lead. Whether she is an ornery woman who thinks she doesn't need love or a hopeless romantic looking for love around every corner, woman love to identify with a woman looking towards love.
- Strong imagery. While a novel can be quite successful without powerful scenery, a movie cannot. Some directors can ad-lib a little and create lush environments from little, but generally the best romance movie scenes come from great images in books.
Romance Novel Movies
Want to know what a few of the hottest romance novel movies out there have been? A few of the bigger hits include:
- Gone with the Wind
- Message in a Bottle
- Wuthering Heights
- Anna Karenina
- Pride and Prejudice
- What Dreams May Come
- Jane Eyre
- Sense and Sensibility
- Tuck Everlasting
- Nights in Rodanthe
- The Blue Lagoon
- Love Story
- A Walk to Remember
- Bridget Jones' Diary
- The Notebook
- Must Love Dogs
- All the Pretty Horses
- Age of Innocence
- Anywhere But Here
- Practical Magic
- The Bridges of Madison County
- Dances with Wolves
- Drive Me Crazy
- 10 Things I Hate About You
Romance Movies from Books Resources
Sometimes finding a good romance novel movie isn't as easy as you would think, but there are a few great resources out there to help you find the best movie:
- The Mid Continental Public Library: Looking for a great movie made from a book? The Mid Continental Public Library system has you covered with an easy-to-use guide of over 1,200 movies made from books. Backed by IMDB, the site can help you find your new favorite romance--or let you know which of your already favorite romance flicks came from a book.
- The Movie Blog: As one of the most well known resources out there for movie buffs, The Movie Blog provides a list of 100 flicks made from books. While not all of them are romance, The Movie Blog makes sure to point out these delicate details.
A Final Thought
There will always be a debate out there as to whether the book is as good as the movie of something. While that will always be there, there isn't anything in your way of enjoying a good romance flick. Don't feel like you should have read the book. Instead, enjoy the movie!