One of the best parts about movies is that many of them are based on true stories, such as crime movie titles based on real life situations. Many of these ring especially interesting to fans amazed at how someone can act the way criminals are often portrayed in crime movies. Many crime movies will often take a real life event, such as a criminal breaking out of jail, and stretch the event to movie length.
Crime Movie Titles Based On Real Life Events
Looking for a few crime movie titles based on real life? Here are a few to hold your interest:
- 'Violette': This 1978 film is based on a real life event in France. The daughter of a wealthy couple, Violette commits a crime in order to obtain money for her lover.
- 'Dog Day Afternoon': A 1975 film focuses on the bank robbery that took place on August 22, 1972. Staring Al Pacino and James Broderick, the film was nominated for several Academy Awards and Golden Globe awards.
- 'St Valentine's Day Massacre': This 1967 movie is based on the infamous event where Al Capone struck against rival Bugs Moran.
- 'The Newton Boys': A 1998 film staring Ethan Hawke, Skeet Ulrich and Matthew McConaughey features a group of brothers who rob trains without ever killing anyone.
- 'American Gangster': This 2007 film featuring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe is based on Frank Lucas. A gangster in Harlem, Lucas held a large heroin smuggling business.
- 'Zodiac': The 2007 film staring Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr. tells the story of the serial killer by the same name as the film. In the 1960's and 1970's, Zodiac was responsible for several murders complete with taunting letters sent to the police
- 'Birdman of Alcatraz': This 1962 film is based on the story of Robert Stroud.
- 'The French Connection': Gene Hackman stars in this 1971 film that focuses on a New York City detective aiming to catch a notorious heroin smuggler.
- 'Monster': Staring Charlize Theron, this 2003 film is based on a Florida prostitute who becomes a serial murderer.
- 'In Cold Blood': This 1967 film is based on the graphic murder of a Kansas family, based on Truman Capote's book.
- 'Lonely Hearts': The 2006 film is based on the story of the Lonely Hearts Killers, Martha Beck and Raymond Fernandez. Staring Jared Leto and Salma Hayek, the film reached critical acclaim after its release.
- 'Bugsy Malone': The 1976 musical film is loosely based on the life and events of Al Capone.
- 'Bonnie and Clyde': This 1967 film is based on two bank robbers, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, who worked during the Great Depression.
- 'Deep Crimson': The Mexican film is also about the Lonely Hearts Killers. The film was critically acclaimed by most of Mexican and American critics at the time.
- 'Rope': An older film made in 1948, Rope tells the story of the Leopold and Loeb murders. The film is produced by classic 1950's and beyond filmmaker, Alfred Hitchcock.
- 'Reversal of Fortune': A high society crime, this 1990's film follows a man's attempt to overturn a conviction in the death of his wife.
- 'Donnie Brasco': The acclaimed 1997 film featuring Al Pacino and Johnny Depp chronicles the life of Joseph Pistone. Pistone, an FBI investigator, infiltrates the Bonanno crime family in NYC.
Other Movies Based On Real Life Crimes
- Alpha Dog
- At Close Range
- Patty Hearst
- Money for Nothing
- Prince of the City
- True Confessions
- The Wrong Man
- Blitz Attach
- Citizen X
- The Untold Story
- Curse of the Zodiac
One of the most thrilling aspects about crime movies that have happened before is that someone in real life actually went about commiting these crimes. Movies of the sort give us an interesting view into the human psyche and allow us to explore the human condition as a whole. True crime stories also have us questioning ourselves. However, above all else, they provide interesting views on real events.